Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it permissible for a divorced man to preach?
Tue Mar 28, 2006 , 10:14 PM
A man who happens to be divorced at our Church is scheduled to preach on an upcoming Sunday morning. Is this in accordance with 1 Tim 3:2 and Titus 1:7, or in violation? He is not looking to pastor the Church, just bring a sermon. I am a fundamentalist- so please use scripture to back your reply. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Tue Mar 28, 2006 , 10:41 PM

I believe that depending on the circumstances of the divorce it may be perfectly fine. In my case I was divorced before I was saved. It was also a case of abandonment in that she divorced me. I have not signed any paperwork at all.

Quote:(1 Corinthians 7:27) Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.

(1 Corinthians 7:28) But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.

Notice that Paul says if a man is loosed from a wife and he marries he has NOT sinned. Be aware also that in a lot of fundamentalist circles the admonition that a Pastor or deacon be the husband of one wife has nothing to do with divorce. The mention of this was made in epistles to the Gentile Churches.The people then were very commonly married to numerous wives at the same time. A little study of the verses involved shows this to be true.

However, in my particular case the Church I choose to affiliate myself with will never allow me to be a Pastor or probably a deacon. I do preach.

In Christ,
George

(Galatians 5:1) Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Wed Mar 29, 2006 , 08:16 AM

Saul/Paul used to torture and kill christians, was it ok for him to preach/evangelize?

Just some thoughts,

Love in Christ,

Jim

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Wed Mar 29, 2006 , 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: Wed Apr 26, 2006 07:15 PM by Missionary.)

Wed Mar 29, 2006 , 10:44 AM

Quote:Proclaiming-preaching-witnessing-telling-teaching is commanded to all believers to reach their sphere of proper influence. The woman at the well did just fine.. "come and see the man"

You got it.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Thu Mar 30, 2006 , 05:49 AM

I would concur with the statements already made. My understanding of the divorce issue is different to the one mentioned already. However, it has no bearing here.

The qualifications are clearly spelled out for a pastor. However, a preacher can simply be a Saint sharing what the Lord has given him. A pastor is an undershepherd with responsibility in the eyes of God. A distinct difference.

It is a fair question though, and hopefully what has been said has helped.

Glad to hear you want Scriptural evidence. My arguments rest on Scriptures already posted. Smile

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: - Jer 9:23
Tue Apr 04, 2006 , 09:05 AM
This is something the others may not have considered. What was the reason for the divorce?
If this man was at fault, he would bring shame to the church!
I Timothy 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil
Romans 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

Many problems arise by allowing a divorced man to preach in a pulpit.

If a man can not handle his house, how can he handle the awesome responsibility of God's word.

I Timothy 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
When he is standing in the pulpit of your church, your church has placed him in a position of honor, and acceptance. If he is not qualified to hold that position it brings great shame to all.

I Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
The term blameless= with out blame?
The husband of one wife=equals one
I must disagree with the statement of one of my brothers above when he said that in that day they had many wives, That is an error! By the time the New Testament was given a man having many wives had stop. Even Jesus dealing with divorce said because of the hardness of your hearts divorce was allowed, but never endorsed by the Lord.
Not one wife at a time (one wife)
Of good behaviour= just what it means! Goes back to my original question what was the reason for the divorce? Did he have an affair? or did his wife have one, and leave him?

He can be a soul winner, a sunday school teacher, bus driver, but a preacher, and pastor should have a good report, do not get a preacher and someone who witnesses confused! if any one can be a preacher who witnesses then Joyce Myers, and Paula White would be scriptural, and they are not!

Jim Norman

I'm glad i'm saved, and not some body!
John 3:30
He must increase, but I must decrease.
Tue Apr 04, 2006 , 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: Wed Apr 26, 2006 07:16 PM by Missionary.)

Tue Apr 04, 2006 , 10:40 AM

Quote:I understand your zeal for a "perfect" preacher

Brother, all due respect, there is no such thing. I believe brother Jim knows this and is not searching for one. I will not speak for him, but in all earnesty 1 Tim. 3 is fairly clear on the matter.

Quote:and I believe a Pastor should exercise extreme caution who he lets preach to the flock in his care.

I agree with you wholeheartedly which brings us to another topic and I think it has been broached before but cannot remember the title of the discussion. But that point is whether or not someone is given the task of preaching by the Lord. Here I want to say that a man better be sure he is called of the Lord to do so.

I think a preacher and pastor are pretty much under the same guidelines.

But I have to ask you one question, "What are the criteria of a preacher to preach?" Is it simply an intellectual knowledge of God's Word and that's all that is required?" Does the Lord put no more requirements of a man to preach? It seems from the definition you have given that you may believe so:

Quote:PRE'ACHER, n. One who discourses publicly on religious subjects.

While I agree with and only use Websters 1828 in my studies for definitions, I would be careful of this one. The Lord must give wisdom and guidance in preaching, otherwise it is mans word and not God's which is being preached.

Just my thoughts,

Jim

Tue Apr 04, 2006 , 11:51 AM
Only one perfect preacher "JESUS" It does amaze me when i see how the Lord uses people without perfection to do his perfect work.

I was only concerned about the testimony of the church! Yes the pastor of the mentioned church has the final call, but all i wanted to do is bring into light the scriptural qualifications of a Bishop/Elder/Pastor.

I do not have all the information concerning this man, is he at fault? I do not know.
We often forget that a man who may teach a sunday school class faithfully may have a greater impact on souls than the pastor of the church. I base my opinion on scripture (I hope it has been rightly divided).
II Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I am glad to see one statement in this post about this man:
Quote:"He is not looking to pastor the Church".

Jim Norman (Not a perfect preacher)
Northside Baptist Church, Eden, NC

I'm glad i'm saved, and not some body!
John 3:30
He must increase, but I must decrease.
Tue Apr 04, 2006 , 02:37 PM

Quote:But I have to ask you one question, "What are the criteria of a preacher to preach?" Is it simply an intellectual knowledge of God's Word and that's all that is required?" Does the Lord put no more requirements of a man to preach?

Ah brother, it goes much, much farther than a mere head knowledge of God's Word. To me the ability to preach is a God given gift. The feelings and emotion must be in place. Being able to preach God's Word is an extreme privilege. Along with the will to preach a man who preaches must also have the desire to learn. Each time I preach I learn somethng new about the Bible and the subject at hand.

I say emotions and feelings because it is not unusual at all for me to break down crying when considering God's Word. The ability to cry I believe is also a gift. It is extremely difficult for me to explain. The tears are because of God's love for me as well as my desire that everyone who hears experience that same love. God's love for us should direct us in our paths. The emotions should also come when dealing with subjects that can be convicting. There must be a want and a desire to pass on to others the necessity for conforming as well as possible to the teachings of The Bible.

Paul addressed it rather well in Romans.

Quote:(Romans 12:6) Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

Please note the words "prophecy" and "prophesy" do not relate to being able to foretell the future.They deal with being an inspired speaker. In Romans Paul also addresses the need to be called to preach.Called by whom? God God the Father of course. Also note the caution to prophesy according to the proportion of faith. You see if the faith is lacking or if we are hugging something in the darkness it is very difficult to walk in the light and therefore almost impossible to preach.

This is a very difficult thing for me to put into words. Preaching is so much more than intellectual knowledge. A person who has intellectual knowledge might make an excellent teacher but not be able to preach at all. To me preaching is all encompassing. It is also a feeling of urgency. Urgency tha those who hear do more than just hear but be doers of the word also. Of course an amount of head knowledge if necessary. I believe that the guidance of the Holy Spirit of God is also necessary. I cannot pick out what I want to work on. If I do then the whole presentation is mediocre because it is of a man and not something the Holy Spirit caused me to speak on. At such times and in such cases the message fails bitterly.

In Christ,
George

(Galatians 5:1) Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.