Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Did SPurgeon believe in the Rapture?
Wed Nov 09, 2005 , 07:53 AM
Did SPurgeon believe in the Rapture?
Here is a quote from one of his sermons:

Quote:Once more, the forgiven Christian is expecting heaven. He is waiting for the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, for if death should intervene before that glorious advent, he knows that to him sudden death is sudden glory;

It is found in the last paragraph of

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0295.htm

Just curious.

MNW

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: - Jer 9:23
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sun Nov 13, 2005 , 09:34 PM

Explain, from the text, where it indicates that he doesn't believe there is a rapture.
Find all posts by this user
Mon Nov 14, 2005 , 05:40 AM

Let me clarify, I believe this paragraph indicates Spurgeon did expect the rapture. But I was curious if that was the case or not.

It would not alter my position, but I saw this sermon and just wondered.

MNW

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: - Jer 9:23
Sat Feb 04, 2006 , 01:04 PM

Spurgeon believed in the second coming and being caught up to meet the Lord in the air. He did not believe in the secret rapture, this was still a fairly novel teaching in Spurgeons day. The Catholic teaching of the pre tribulation rapture was introduced into the protestant church by Edward Irving about 1830. The first protestant to believe it seemed to be Mr Maitand, librarian to the Archbishop of Canterbury about 1825.

David

Job 19:25 But as for me I know that my Redeemer liveth, And at last he will stand up upon the earth:
Find all posts by this user
Sat Feb 04, 2006 , 06:34 PM

Oh boy, here we go again.

It was quite a topic, and I dont think it exists anymore, but it, to me is quite obvious that there is a pre-tribulational rapture.

Preterism is untrue. It is sad that there are so many people that have been taught that premillennialism is a recent doctrine. it has always been known and taught since the beginning of the NT.

Love in Christ,

Jim

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.