Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do our loved ones in Heaven see and hear us?
Sun Aug 15, 2004 , 09:52 PM
Do our loved ones in Heaven see and hear us?
I was asked by a friend who had lost someone special in her life if I could give her some scriptures to show that loved ones in Heaven can see and hear us. I was unable to find anything that I thought would help her. I have always thought that our loved ones do know what is going on down here and can see and hear us. Am I wrong about that? If there are any scriptures to show this, could someone please help me out here. It seemed quite important to this person and I have been looking. I told her I would try to find out for her. I would appreciate any help any of you might be able to give me. Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
Mon Aug 16, 2004 , 04:58 PM

I think it is possible and even probable that those in Heaven can see, hear and follow what is going on here on earth. I believe there are angels constantly visiting to and returning from earth to Heaven. Those in Heaven are probably aware of all this activity. But I do not believe they are aware of individuals down here. I don't think they know their families as their families. In Like 16:19-31, the account of the rich man and Lazarus, the rich man was very aware, could see and know Lazarus in Abrahams Bosom, but it does not say if Lazarus was aware of him. I personally don't believe that they are aware of us as their family and friends, otherwise, they would be concerned about us and no feeling like that is allowed in Heaven
Find all posts by this user
Tue Aug 31, 2004 , 12:03 AM

The other passage that some have used to suggest that those in Heaven are watching us is Heb 12:1 "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us". Some have suggested that our lives are lived under the watchful eyes of those who have gone before like spectators gathered in the colliseum watching the olympic games. The only problem is that the word "witnesses" does not mean spectators. It means examples and has immediate reference to the previous chapter, the Faith Hall of Fame. In light of their example, let us run with endurance! The word is the same one used in Revelation 2:13 to refer to Antipas the "faithful martyr".

So, the ones who have gone ahead are not watching us, rather we are encouraged by looking at their faithfulness and the example they have set for us to follow. This is the meaning of this Hebrews 12:1.

I agree with SailorJerry that negative things would not be consistent with Heaven being a place of comfort and joy. I would suggest that good news is somehow passed on for we know that there is "joy in the presence of the angels over one sinner that repenteth" (Luke 15:10). Many have understood "in the presence of" to indicate that it is not the angels themselves who are rejoicing, but the saints who have gone before.

I think this understanding is most consistent with the whole of Scripture.