Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mennonite group singing hymns in subway
Sun Aug 23, 2009 , 03:09 AM
Mennonite group singing hymns in subway
I came across this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncMDKMEFhnM

The hymns being sung were "When I See the Blood", and "Grace Greater Than Our Sin".

I was struck by this thought: Here is a group of people singing hymns in public as a witness for Christ. The clothes they wear and the hymns they sing make them seem a little out of place on the platform of a busy city subway. Passers-by pay them little attention apart from a brief glance as they walk past. But the group still sings.

One person, however, does take notice. This person takes some video footage of the group, and posts it on YouTube. That was over two years ago. As of today, 38,588 people have watched the video clip.
That group of singers would have had no idea that their performance would eventually seen by tens of thousands of people all over the world. It just shows how far a small witness for Christ can potentially go! Just imagine if they had decided to stay home, thinking: "It's a waste of time singing in the subway; nobody ever takes any notice of us"!

Here are some words from those hymns:

"Christ our Redeemer died on the cross,
Died for the sinner, paid all his due;
Sprinkle your soul with the blood of the Lamb,
And I will pass, will pass over you."

"Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt,
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
There the blood of the lamb was spilt."

"Grace, grace, God's grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God's grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin!"

Occupy till I come (Luke 19:13b)

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sun Aug 23, 2009 , 05:43 PM
RE: Mennonite group singing hymns in subway
Great

Some years ago when I worked in London, I boarded a crowded Victoria Line tube train in the rush hour. There were a group of black people in front of me. One started singing. I thought they were all together until the others all moved away from him, then I could hear that he was signing hymns. At each stop, more people got off and I could see that this man had a hymn book he was signing from. When I came to my stop I got up to leave and the man had just started singing What a Friend We Have in Jesus I said "Thank you". He just nodded without faltering in his singing. He had a really nice voice as well.

I sometimes used to see people with a bible in their hand preaching outside Oxford Circus Tube station, and although hundreds of people passed by only one or two ever stopped and I expect they were Christians. In Canterbury each Wednesday, however, the Open Air Campaigners try to spread the gospel by means of a chalk board, and they get a number of people stop and discuss the message and take tracts. These people may come from any country in the world as Canterbury is the main tourist city in our area. The group also preach in Dover and Ashford as well as other places. Someone I know also hands out tracts in Canterbury three days a week.

About 2-3 months or so ago, I was on a London bus when a black woman got on and started to talk to the other passengers about how Jesus could save them from their sins.

David

Job 19:25 But as for me I know that my Redeemer liveth, And at last he will stand up upon the earth:
Sun Aug 23, 2009 , 05:52 PM
Here are the words of both hymns.

http://nethymnal.org/htm/w/h/e/whenisee.htm
http://nethymnal.org/htm/g/g/ggreater.htm

David

Job 19:25 But as for me I know that my Redeemer liveth, And at last he will stand up upon the earth:
Sun Aug 23, 2009 , 09:28 PM
Yes, its all about planting a seed isn't it. We can all plant seeds if we will make a little effort, but if any of them sprout and grow we might not be aware of it until we get to heaven.

Our local Mennonite Church goes to one of our nursing homes once per month and sings hymns. I pass this nursing home coming home from church, last Sunday evening was there day to be there.

I might add, one of the Mennonite told me that several people at the local SBC Church had compliment them on their singing and he told them, "If you would turn off all that loud music where people could hear y'all sing, y'all would sound real good to." In case some don't know, these Mennonites do not use any music instruments, their singing is beautiful.

In His service,
Jerry

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 1 Peter 5:7

"Jesus is our only hope!"
Mon Aug 24, 2009 , 04:34 PM
A couple of years ago, UBM (United Beach Missions) asked if they could sleep over at our church while they held a five day mission in Canterbury. We said they could, but would they do at least one day in Whitstable? After all we have a beach and Canterbury doesn't. They said they would next time. The following year they wanted to come again and we said they could if they spent some of the time in Whitstable, but again they declined, so we suggested that they stayed with one of the churches in Canterbury.

David

Tue Aug 25, 2009 , 09:46 AM
They were showing how much they appreicated you Church giving them a place to stay. Or should I say how little?

In His service,
Jerry

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 1 Peter 5:7

"Jesus is our only hope!"
Fri Sep 04, 2009 , 04:00 PM
It is amazing what we can accomlish with a little care and effort. It's too bad Jesus Christ becomes a hindrance and inconvenience to our lives.

Oh what we could accomplish with Christ as our motivator to do everything for Him.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user