Fundamental Preaching.com

Full Version: Security of the Believer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
John 10:28-29
'And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
'My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.'

Christ has made salvation possible to everyone by His sacrifice for us. Christ died on the cross, was buried, and then rose again three days later. It is this that makes Heaven attainable. All that is required for salvation is to place your trust in Christ and Him alone - plus nothing, minus nothing.
In John 10:28, Christ tells us that He has given us eternal life, we will never perish, and that no one can pluck us out of His hand.

1. Salvation is a gift.
He has given us eternal life. It is not something we have to earn by doing good works. It is a gift. That means all we have to do to have eternal life is accept the gift of God's Son. When we receive gifts at a birthday or Christmas, we do not have to pay for them or do anything to earn them. All we have to do is open the present and accept what has been given. Salvation is exactly the same. God has given us the present of salvation wrapped up in the death of His Son. All we need to do is accept God's free gift.
Just like a gift, salvation can be rejected. Sometimes we offer a person something and they refuse to take it. Some people do this with the gift of salvation. They absolutely refuse to accept is as God has given it. Others gladly accept the free gift of salvation that God has given.
This is the one gift that once received can not be lost. If we could lose our salvation then that would mean that Christ's work on Calvary was somehow incomplete. Christ died for ever sin that had been committed and that would be committed. After we get saved, we are still going to sin; that is human nature. Our salvation does not rely on us asking for forgiveness over and over again. We will retain our salvation whether we ask for forgiveness or not. Not confessing our sins will distance us from God and our relationship with Him, but it will never cause us to lose our salvation.

2. If we could lose our salvation then we would be more powerful than God.
Christ said that no man shall pluck us out of His hand in verse 28. In the next verse He goes on to say that no man is able to pluck us out of His Father's hands. I Peter 1:5 verifies this stating we are kept by the power of God and Jude 1 tells us we are preserved in Jesus Christ. The moment we accept Christ as our Saviour we become a child of God and are placed in His protection. No one in Heaven above, here on earth, or in Hell beneath can ever change that. Jesus said that no one could pluck us out of God's hands - and that includes ourselves.

Once Saved Always Saved! Amen.

In Christ,
PreacherE
And yet another Amen!

Love in Christ,

Jim
I believe what Jesus said in John 10:28-29
believing of mine is not to it; its; what; that etc., - which is things but I believe in Him; Whom etc.,- who is Person.
it is not childish but children's faith "Dady says so" there is no chance for those who do not change a mind to believe in Christ Who knows what He saying and He saying what He knows.
seniy
with the Joy of Holy Spirit.
Amen Seniy!!!!

If you do not have Eternal Security, then you are lost and on your way to HELL......

That was a pretty long expository for being wrong, Pengo.

Quote:Phil. 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

John 6:37
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 10:28
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
10:29
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

To say Jesus can "lose" us after He gained us through His salvation, is to say Jesus is not perfect, and has no absolute power. It is to have no FAITH!!!

Jim
Quote:To say Jesus can "lose" us after He gained us through His salvation, is to say Jesus is not perfect, and has no absolute power. It is to have no FAITH!!!

Amen brother Jim, amen! It appears we have gained another heretick.

In Christ,
George
Quote:John 14:2-3 -- In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

So, if you don't have eternal security, what does Jesus do with your mansion? Does He board it up in case you get saved "again"? Or does He just give it to someone else?

Mitch
Ooooh, Mitch Good One!!!! Very Happy
Uh, I believe this is a KJV-only site, so please post Scripture from that version.

Regarding your last post that says eternal security is a license to sin, please allow me to point you to Romans 6. The entire chapter addresses that issue. Think upon that.

Mitch
Quote:I can give you more if you'd like?

Give more? More of what? Your private interpretation of a book that is not God's Word?

First, you are quoting from something that looks like the bible, but is not God's Word.

Second, you are utilizing your own private interpretation.

Quote:2 Peter 1:20
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

But then again. As they say,..."Garbage in, garbage out"

If you have an incorrect source, then the solution will be incorrect.

In Christ,

Jim
Quote:Luke 8:13 -- They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
You take one verse out of a parable and justify your position that a Christian can lose their salvation? You must look at the context of the entire parable. The first soil (wayside) represents hardened hearts that the Gospel just bounces off of; the second soil (rock) represents hearts that are initially open to the Gospel, but are not truly saved and eventually "fall away" (some call this "easy believism"); the third soil (thorns) hear the Gospel but are too rooted in the world to let the Gospel affect them; and the fourth soil represents those who are truly saved when they hear the Gospel and act upon it.

I have never heard Luke 8:13 as proof that a Christian could lose his/her salvation. I think you're stretching that one.

Quote:Gal 5:4 -- Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Another verse you've taken out of context. Paul is telling the Galatians who adhere to the law negatively affect the liberty we have in Christ -- therefore, Christ and His grace has no affect on strict law-abiders because they are trusting in the law rather than Christ.

Quote:Rom. 11:19-23 -- Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. 20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: 21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. 22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. 23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
Again, another verse you've taken out of context. Paul is addressing how the Gentiles fit into God's plan. Israel was supposed to take the Gospel to the world, but since it rejected Jesus as the Messiah, God blinded Israel to the truth and turned to the Gentiles to complete His plan. Therefore, Gentiles are "graffed" into the "natural" (Jewish) olive tree.

Quote:2 Tim 2:16-18 -- But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
This is a warning against false teachers who can lead weak believers into error, thereby destroying their testimony or their usefulness for God. This does not refer to their losing their salvation.

Several of your "examples" were taking verses out of context. Please refer to the context before bringing such nonsense to these boards.

Thanks,

Mitch
And since you've posted some "verses" to prove your point, let me return the favor out of the real Bible:

Everybody's favorite:
Quote:John 3:16 -- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Quote:I John 5:11-13 -- And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
Quote:John 10:27-29 -- My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
Quote:John 11:25-26 -- Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Whew! And those are just a few out of the Gospel of John. I don't think this board has enough room on its server to quote all the verses. Pengo, please give up your works-based salvation (that's what it truly is), and come enjoy the peace of mind Christ gives Christians when they realize that no matter what they do, they have a place in heaven.

That's liberty that doesn't give us the "right" to sin, but the freedom to live as we ought! Praise His holy name!

Mitch
God gave Adam free will. Adam sinned. We are children of Adam, we have the natrue of Adam, our father, sometimes called sinful nature, or human nature. That nature is to sin.
Please read the following carefully from John 6:

36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
39 And this is the Father?s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
41 The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.
42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?
43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. This teaching was no more popular in the time of Jesus than it is now.
What happened to my posts?
Uuuuuum, I deleted them? Very Happy
Quote:My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. (John 10:27-29)

First lets deal with The Recipients (SHEEP).

The Recipients ? The Lord's sheep (v. 27)
  • They are His sheep (v. 27a)
  • His sheep will hear His voice (v. 27b)
    [John 10] ? verse 5 says that they will not follow a stranger and that they will flee from him; they will.
  • He knows His sheep (v. 27c) [compare with Matthew 7:23].
  • His sheep will follow Him (v. 27d).
THESE ARE ASSURANCES GIVEN BY CHRIST HIMSELF!!!

He presently and continuously give unto His sheep eternal life (v. 28a)
  • If it is eternal, and you lost it, It wouldn't be eternal.
  • He keeps on giving eternal life.
  • His sheep shall never perish (v. 28b)
  • This is an emphatic "never"? ou me in the Greek.
  • The understanding of it is "no not"?double negative, one negative would have sufficed to communicate the message, but the double negative stands as an emphatic coming from the Lord Jesus Christ.
  • "Perish" is an aorist middle verb making this reflexive and also saying that he himself will not have anything to do with perishing either.
  • He cannot cause himself to perish ? making a point that even his own sinning will not be the cause of his perishing.
  • It is aorist so that he will never at any point perish, not now, not in the future.
  • The understanding of "they shall never perish," in light of the Greek words here (eis ton aiona), is "they shall never perish eternally."
  • Everyone will die physically.
  • This is saying that these sheep will never perish eternally, that is, they will never experience eternal death!
  • His Father gave His sheep to Him (v. 29a).
  • "Gave" is the perfect tense, meaning that the act of giving was completed in the past, and the results of that giving are ongoing.
  • The gift that the Father gave to the Son must continue being the gift.
  • They belong to Jesus because they have been given to Him by the Father, a gift that will keep on giving.

No man is able to pluck them out of the Father's hand (v. 29b).
  • Within the circle of "no man" are no man.
  • No man who has ever lived can be in that circle.
  • To be able to lose your own salvation, you would have to be In that circle, and since you cannot be, you cannot lose your salvation.
  • You cannot remove yourself from His hand.
No man will pluck them out of the Lord Jesus' hand (v. 28c).
  • "Any man" includes every human being that ever lived.
  • Would "any man" include yourself? Yes.
  • Therefore, as one of "any man," abiding within that circle, you cannot even pluck yourself out of His hand.

Here are more assurances found in John's Gospel chapter 17

Knowing Perfectly the Will of God Jesus Prayed in v.11 for the Father to Keep Those Whom He Had Given Him.
  • Jesus is praying to the Father (v.1) and in v.9 we see Whom He is praying for.
  • 1 John 5:14,15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
  • In v.4 we see that Jesus fulfills everything the Father wants Him to do.
  • In v.21 we read that the Father is in the Son and the Son in the Father, so the Son must know the will of the Father, since they are in each other.
  • "Hast given" in v.11 is a perfect tense, again meaning that the action of the Father giving these people to the Son is completed in the past and the result of that giving is ongoing.
  • They are God's irrevocable gift to His Son?vv. 2,6,9,11,12,22.
  • He prays to the Father to keep them, the them being not only those saved on the earth at that time, but all those (v.20) who will believe on Him in the future.
False teachers can use their smoke and mirrors and wrenching of the scriptures to disprove this passage, however if we take this at face value, its says what it says. A Child of God will remain a Child of God FOREVER!!!

Should we believe Jesus?

God Bless!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's